- Dissertation Title: Meditations on the Abyss: US Security, the Global “War on Terror,” and the Rise of ISIS
- Description: Confronting emergent threats to the individual, the state, and the international order calls for developing new categories that speak to the evolving influence of globalization, international institutions, and transnational threats. This work seeks to develop these categories by constructing a heuristic framework of America’s global security theories and practices in the global “war on terror.” Spanning the hot wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Libya, as well as the virtual wars brought about by Obama’s patent increase in drone warfare and his choice to “lead from behind” on the field in Syria, this work addresses the dire consequences of favoring general tactics over precise strategies against non-state threats to security.
- Committee: Stephen Bronner (chair), Yale Ferguson, Alison Howell, and Manfred Steger (outside reader)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personal Website: Amazon Author's Page/LinkedIn